Saturday, February 11, 2017

Pre-Fall 17


It's manic, it's chaos but most of all it's beauty. Fashion houses work tirelessly all year round producing collections for us to gaze our eyes upon and dream of owning. As the Pre-Fall 17 collections have been released, New York has become a hub of the latest fashion. Stylish show goers have descended upon the city that never sleeps, to cast their fine eyes on the Pre-Fall 17 runway shows.

While I could talk on and on about the countless shows, there was one collection that stood out to me the most. Acne Studios, a Stockholm brand, embraced a vintage twist. 

Creative Director, Jonny Johansson, has taken the Pre-Fall 17 collection in a different direction. Running with the 70's inspiration, as many other fashion houses have done in the past, Johansson emulates 70's style through texture, floral prints, embroidery and coloring. Even featuring the occasional denim and leather piece, the collection showcases movement and mood. 


Another aspect which really attracted me to the collection was how Johansson blends the gender lines. Acknowledging and showcasing the growing movement of openness and acceptance, Acne Studios shows the public that there doesn't have to be a clear gender line, males can wear female clothing and females can wear male clothing. The androgynous look is being seen so much more and it's so important that people in a position to spread awareness and make a difference should utilize that. 

Adding another touch of culture to the collection, Johansson has employed Primal Scream frontman Bobby Gillespie as a model for the lookbook. "I've always been interested in the self-expression clothing can give. Often I've been inspired by the self-expression of musicians. As I was finalizing the collection, I realized I'd designed a look for Bobby Gillespie" Johansson has said. 

If the garments drew me in, then the story behind them made me stay. Acne Studio's Pre-Fall 17 collection is a major standout for me. 

x







No comments:

Post a Comment