Thursday, March 30, 2017

I (Kinda) Love My Body And That's Okay


I have a million freckles, dotted all over my body. I get bruises super easily and my legs are often home to at least three of them. I'm so pale that it's often the first thing people notice about me. And I have four scars on my body from different surgeries. I've spent so many days feeling upset with myself because I thought that I didn't measure up to those gorgeous girls on Instagram. They all have perfectly tanned bodies with gorgeous long hair and long legs. It took me so long to realize that no-one is perfect. These girls choose to show us an edited version of themselves. And yeah, you know what? There are girls out there who will make you do a double take, and maybe I don't look like them, but that's okay. 

We live in a digital generation, and access to images of other people is so easy. Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook; you name it! We all have social media platforms where we are subjected to unrealistic body goals. We're taught that it's not 'cool' to be happy with your body. We've romanticized the idea of not liking our bodies. I know from first hand experience, that loving yourself and your body can be one of the hardest things to do. 

But we have to reject the idea that we ourselves aren't the most beautiful thing to walk upon this earth. Love yourself and SHOUT IT from the rooftops! Because when you start to feel this love and truly believe it, it's going to start showing. It's a hard thing to do, too ignore your little imperfections. But in reality, these little imperfections are what make us, well us! I hate my smile, but I've found someone who loves waking up next to it. And I never thought anyone would ever appreciate it, let alone myself. 

This may seem like a jumble of words, I can be bad at gathering my thoughts together sometimes. But the message remains the same. I (kinda) love my body and that's okay. We should all love our bodies, because everyone is beautiful. 

x


No comments:

Post a Comment